did judy have scoliosis ???

Everything that doesn't fit into a specific forum.
Forum rules
Click here to view the board rules of the Judy Garland Message Board

did judy have scoliosis ???

Postby Alex22 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:48 pm

liza has it and they say it runs in the family so does that mean judy had it ??
Alex22

Re: did judy have scoliosis ???

Postby ohno » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:38 am

Scoliosis is thought to be genetic. It's a result of expression of multiple genes, but it has something that's called variable penetrance, meaning that in each generation there is a variability in how strongly the genes are expressed, that is, how severe the curve is. It tends to run in families and it appears to predominantly afflict females and is more common in those with Irish ancestry. However it can also occur as a result of a spinal cord injury. The pain threshold is related to the degree of the curve. Severe cases can lead to degenerative disease of the spine and usually is accompanied by rumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis.
ohno

Postby Garland Forever » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:40 pm

I was reading in a book last year that Judy did have scoliosis & it also mentions about it in the movie Me & My Shadows so I would say that it's true.
Garland Forever

Postby Kaytrina2010 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:04 am

This is something I've been wondering,because,when I was watching the Judy Garland show,it appeared that she had some sort of curvature of the spine....
So,is it confirmed that she did in fact have scoliosis?
Does anyone know if she had it since she was young,or if it was just a thing as she got older?
I still love you more than anything in the world
Kaytrina2010

Postby Anne » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:03 am

I think that Judy did NOT have scoliosis, which is a side to side curvature of the spine. But I DO think that she had kyphosis. Kyphosis is a curvature of the spine that causes a rounding or bowing of the back. I also believe that she had a congenital form of kyphosis (weren't Ethyl and to a lesser degree Liza and Lorna also effected?), but probably not severe, and certainly not enough to be a candidate for surgery. I am not sure if Jimmie and Suzy had evidence of mild kyphosis. Anyway, here are a couple of links -

Kyphosis - http://www.texashealth.org/images/PHP/S ... phosis.jpg

Scoliosis - http://blogs.monografias.com/sistema-li ... liosis.jpg

So the correct term is kyphosis.
" ...I hear a melody that haunted me from the start...."
Anne

Postby Anne » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:46 am

Here is a more descriptive link with an x ray. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyphosis On second reading it seems possible that the kyphosis that Judy had was Scheuermann's kyphosis, since that one runs in families. If it was that form of kyphosis it was probably a mild form of it.
" ...I hear a melody that haunted me from the start...."
Anne

Postby Dorothy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:54 am

Anne wrote:I think that Judy did NOT have scoliosis, which is a side to side curvature of the spine. But I DO think that she had kyphosis. Kyphosis is a curvature of the spine that causes a rounding or bowing of the back. I also believe that she had a congenital form of kyphosis (weren't Ethyl and to a lesser degree Liza and Lorna also effected?), but probably not severe, and certainly not enough to be a candidate for surgery. I am not sure if Jimmie and Suzy had evidence of mild kyphosis. Anyway, here are a couple of links -

So now I have something in common with her! Even if it's not a positive thing. :? I have them both and I've done gymnastic for 10 years (I also wore the terrible corsets that even covered my neck). Maybe kyphosis is more visible in Judy but it can also be that she had also scoliosis like me, cause it's congenital but it also depends a lot on the way you sit when you're growing up; it lasts forever and gets worse if it's not cured. I cured them for so long but then I was tired so now I have more scoliosis than kyphosis (it was the opposite at the beginning) but I don't think she had serious problems cause otherwise she couldn't have led that life! It's a serious thing and I also think they cured them less in that period, so I don't think it was a real problem for her.
For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.
Dorothy

Postby Kaytrina2010 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:05 pm

Oh,I didn't know there were two different,yet similar things that had to do with spine curvatures!They must not check for kyphosis as often...
I still love you more than anything in the world
Kaytrina2010

Postby Alex22 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:55 pm

i know i saw that to thats also y i was thing may be she had it

Kaytrina2010 wrote:This is something I've been wondering,because,when I was watching the Judy Garland show,it appeared that she had some sort of curvature of the spine....
So,is it confirmed that she did in fact have scoliosis?
Does anyone know if she had it since she was young,or if it was just a thing as she got older?
Alex22

Postby Alex22 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:57 pm

oo ok that one part where that lady's like "we need to work on you posture" and then shes like "well it runs in the family "

Garland Forever wrote:I was reading in a book last year that Judy did have scoliosis & it also mentions about it in the movie Me & My Shadows so I would say that it's true.
Alex22

Postby Sarah » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:10 pm

Anne wrote:I think that Judy did NOT have scoliosis, which is a side to side curvature of the spine. But I DO think that she had kyphosis. Kyphosis is a curvature of the spine that causes a rounding or bowing of the back. I also believe that she had a congenital form of kyphosis (weren't Ethyl and to a lesser degree Liza and Lorna also effected?), but probably not severe, and certainly not enough to be a candidate for surgery. I am not sure if Jimmie and Suzy had evidence of mild kyphosis. Anyway, here are a couple of links -

Anne, has it spot on here, having studied anatomy and physiology a fair bit, seems people often confuse scoliosis as curvature of the spine when in fact scoliosis is actually an s shape of the spine which is much more serious and much harder to deal with. Liza is a dancer and believe me if she had scoliosis much of the dancing she did would have been impossible. kyphosis is much more common and can be developed from bad posture and not always genetic or fromm birth. So thank you for clearing that up Anne, as it's one of those little misconceptions about Judy that slightly irks me. :lol:
"Dear when in your arms I creep/That divine rendevous/Well don't wake me if I'm alseep/Let me dream that it's true/Kiss me once, then once more/What a dunce I was before...."
Sarah

Return to JUDY: IN GENERAL